Identity Theft and Your Tax File Number
Criminals may steal your tax file number and lodge your tax return escaping with your tax refund.
Why is it so important to guard your TFN from getting into the wrong hands
- Thieves may lodge your tax return or access your tax information
- It may be used to create a false id leading to the divulging of more personal information about you.
What to be careful of:
- Not shredding it before putting it in the rubbish.
- False job advertisers
- Telephone operators pretending to be authorised persons.
- Email scams requesting personal information
You should be safe in quote a tax file number to:
- Registered tax agents. You can confirm that they are registered by checking on the Tax Practitioners Board website.
- When you call the ATO
- Conveyancer or Solicitor
If you are uncertain whether you should divulge your tax file number consult your tax agent you have known for years.