Thinking of working overseas

If you are an Australian considering working overseas, we recommend seeking tax advice to plan fully for your Australian Tax Law implications.


Australian residents are generally taxed on their income from all sources, in and out of Australia.

However if you are a non resident of Australia you are only taxed on income in Australia.

The definition of residency for tax purposes and your situation are critical in your decision to work overseas. So plan you tax implications before you accept a position working overseas.

For advice on your tax residency status to your situation and tax implication we suggest our specialist tax advice

Importantly Residents and non residents for tax purposes have different tax rates and tax free thresholds