Leadership in your business
In this post we are going to look at what makes a good leader, what makes a bad leader and what different leadership styles there are in business. Here are some ideas on how some business owners approach leadership and examples of leadership tips.
- A good leader is influencing not controlling
- Should be a good example, like you have heard leads by example
- Have great skills with people, can vary their style to different personality styles.
- Can be assertive yet not unreasonable
- Capable of surrounding themselves with a good team, a business is nowhere without its people.
- Put people in the right position and exploit their strengths
- A good leader has the reasons to succeed and does so.
- Are capable of backing their decision and not just talking the walk.
- A leader is consistently doing well. You never know who is watching so a good leader never lowers his high standards.
- Leadership can require changes and introductions which need to be balanced and planned for effectiveness.
- Leaders give their staff no surprises of their performance at reviews as they are giving regular feedback.
- Naturally we lead our clients and customers to solutions to their pain in goods and services. We are the experts in guiding them to the right solutions.
- Leaders have great listening and communication skills. Able to get the right information to make good judgements and allow the pauses to let people speak finishing their thoughts.
- Great leaders are capable of transforming staff into decision makers, value adders to the business who think more like owners than just employees.
- Leaders are sometimes not the most technically gifted experts of the business, but are most multi skilled and team playing.
- It can be lonely for a good leader, so they typically are nourished by good training, mentors or support colleagues
- Poor leadership examples are being a psycho, game playing causing disharmony in the team, conniving, only giving unconstructive criticism, split personality, shows favoritism, disrespectful, shows inconsistency, not accepting responsibility are some common examples.
- Leaders have different styles energetic, analytical, approachable or personable to name a few.
- Finally to finish, I like the story of the wolves that went viral where there are leaders from the front who set the pace, spot trouble ahead. But there can also be leaders from the back who watch everyone and makes sure no one is left behind.
Here is the actual viral story
“A wolf pack: the first 3 are the old or sick, they give the pace to the entire pack. If it was the other way round, they would be left behind, losing contact with the pack. In case of an ambush they would be sacrificed. Then come 5 strong ones, the front line. In the center are the rest of the pack members, then the 5 strongest following. Last is alone, the alpha. He controls everything from the rear. In that position he can see everything, decide the direction. He sees all of the pack. The pack moves according to the elders pace and help each other, watch each other.”
Good luck on effectively leading in business.
Helping you effectively lead in business is part of the service at Tax Accounting Adelaide.
Break free with Tax Accounting Adelaide Services call us on 83374460
- Sole trader, Partnership, Company and Trust Tax and BAS returns;
- Self Managed Super Funds;
- Bookkeeping and Choosing Accounting Software;
- New business Start ups Advise;
- Specialising in personal training businesses;
- Improving your business through our business blood test check up;
- We help you get leads with our own business networking events.
More than just Bookkeeping, Bas returns and Tax returns – At Tax Accounting Adelaide we use accounting to grow your business